“SEVEN MISSING WORDS FROM ADAM’S VOCABULARY”
INTRODUCTION: Scientist tell us that today there are over 3500 different mammals, 8600 species of birds, and 5500 species of reptiles and amphibians for a total of 17,600 different species (plus the possibility of 1000’s of extinct ones). (If Adam named 500 per DAY (for 8 hrs. a day) it would require 35 days).
This tells us one thing: Adam’s task was no small one! How did he do it?
A. There are 3 schools of thought as to how he was able to accomplish such a task:
1. J.F.B. = “His powers of perception and intelligence were super-naturally enlarged to know the habits, characters, and uses of each specie that was brought to him.”
2. Matthew Henry = “This scripture gives proof that Adam was endued with knowledge and the faculties both of reason and speech.”
3. “Man was created in knowledge after the Divine image and thus was endowed with powers of perception and discrimination, by which he could know the habits, characters, and uses of the species.”
B. All will agree that Adam’s abilities to name “every living creature” indicates:
1. That Adam must have had a tremendous vocabulary. YET,
2. In spite of this there were seven simple words, unknown and not under-stood, by Adam prior to his fall in the Garden of Eden. How do we know?
a. Simply because they are words most of us know the meaning of; (no thanks to Adam).
b. Thus the title of this message “SEVEN MISSING WORDS FROM ADAM’S VOCABULARY”. These words were: