“THE BUMPS ARE WHAT YOU CLIMB ON”
JAMES 1;2-4; I PET. 1:5-7
Jas. 1:2-4 “My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying you your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing”.
I Peter 5:6-7 “Wherein in ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honor and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ.”
A. Careful reading of the text reveals that both James and Peter echo the same attitude toward temptation and trials, AND their benefit in the believer’s life, for the present and the future.
1. Could it be they had discovered that “THE BUMPS ARE WHAT YOU CLIMB ON”? Let me explain with the following story:
A young boy had talked his little sister into climbing up a mountain that was near their home. In an effort to convince her that she could do it with him, he told her that there was even a path to follow. Finally he succeeded!
As he was leading her up the mountain path, one that she found was not too easy to climb, she complained, “Why, this isn’t a path at all, it’s all rocky and bumpy!” Her brother replied, “Sure, but the bumps are what you climb on.”
2. When we think about it, his was a remarkable piece of philosophy. What do you do with the bumps on the path of life. Give Title of Message
B. Read any successful person’s biography and you will find there is not one whose life was free from problems and difficulties.
1. While looking at their life from a distance, you might think they had it made and that life was easy for them.
a. But when you get closer, you discover that their climb to the top was not an easy one.
b. Their life or path was rocky and bumpy, but the bumps were what they climbed on to get to the top!
2. One doesn’t have to read far in the Bible before discovering this truth.
3. Let’s look at a few of those considered by most OF US to have made it to the top of the spiritual mountain.